Friday, December 31, 2004

Stories from My Youth: XII - Alpha

Alpha Jill Lam.

She was born in Hawaii, USA.
She had long black hair, large eyes but small glasses.
She was not too short, nor too thin.

Whenever she blushed (which was quite often), her cheek would puff a little, and her face would look like a small apple. Almost immediately after her blush she would first smile, then pout a little, and finally she would laugh aloud.

Friends remarked that her laughter is loud and piercing. I, on the other hand, quite like her laughter. Everytime she laughed, it was open, innocent and carefree - in short, it was sincere.

I remember that one time she and I were sitting together at the school library, and for some reason she started to kick me beneath the table at my shin. Tony, who was also at the table, jested that something's going on between the two ofus. ("Look at the action below!") I laughed, but Alpha (oh dear Alpha!) got very angry and blushed. Red she turned, laughter she blurt out, and continued her kicks (perhaps not realizing that she should kick Tony, not me). When she later found out that she bruised my right leg, her eyes were sorry, but she was too proud to admit her wrong. And knowing that her eyes betrayed herself, she was obliged to stomp off.

I remember one gym class, when our physical education unti was square-dance. How unhappy she looked when she was paired up with me for the class! I was shy, for this would be the first time I hold a girl's hands since my beloved Sally. So reluctantly she took my hands that I thought I was an alien from outer space! But soon the music and the dance formed a special chemistry, and drugged both of us into the rhythm of the fun. Oh how happy were we - open, innocent and carefree - as we move around the gym floor, laughing at each other, laughing with each other. I found sincerity in her eyes, and assumed she in mine.

I remember that she moved away before the end of the year, and at the time I did not think I miss her. But the last day of school convinced me otherwise. I was standing outside the school by the ESL portables when I saw her figure at a distant, standing there, facing me. Instantly I brightened up and waved at her. Then I yelled outloud her name. The sound wave travelled across the basketball court and beyond, but seemed not to have reached her. At last I decided to run after her, only to have lost sight of this strange apparition. I was disapppointed, and was surprised by the disappointment.

Alpha, open, innocent and carefree Alpha. Was she the symbol of that which I have been seeking since? I have lost Alphaa at the end of my elementary school year, but she continued to haunt me in my consciousness...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home